Friday, June 11, 2010

Tree

Yesterday a neighbor of ours, around the corner, hired a tree service to cut down a couple of trees. They were evergreen trees and were gigantic. I could see why they were cutting them down; they must have been a nuisance being overgrown and so close to their house.

I watched the tree-trimmers go about their business taking down the trees, branch by branch. They had a bucket that looked like it would be fun to get in and go real high. It must be a tough job, making sure the branches would not hit anything on the way down. It took them all day to cut down those evergreens, and when they were done how different their backyard looked. I could see the house the trees blocked from my sight, and even down the street. Interesting, I thought.


Today, they were back, much to my dismay, taking down another tree. It was a great big old maple tree in their backyard. Their backyard backs up to mine and that tree was like an old pal. I couldn’t watch this tree go down, and I didn’t find it interesting at all. The noise bothered me and a couple of times I found a tear running down my face as I went about my morning routine.



I didn’t know this could affect me so much. I felt for this tree. I told the other trees in my yard they were not going next. Do you think they know? Do you think they are bothered by their friend going? I know I was.

5 comments:

  1. I think trees talk to each other. I feel sad when they go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everytime I see a tree being cut down,,,it wells up tears in me...especially when they are trees we loved for so long. My neighbor cut down a major tree in her yard a few years ago...it brought out a rage in me...I was so angry...she cut it down just because she was sick of all the leaves getting on the porch... I became really aware that not all sense and love the trees like I do...good to see, you have the same connection...Terry B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethie, Cathy and I are here reading your blog, and we remembered this:

    They took all the trees and put them in a tree museum.
    And they charged all the people
    A dollar and a half just to see 'em.
    Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got till it's gone?
    They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.


    xxx
    Love,
    Judith and Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judith and Cathy, I remember that song, you think it will come to that? I was bothered the most because so many trees were cut down after the "Suprise Storm" in Oct 2008.
    Always, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your Post! I also love trees and look at them as friends. Growing up in the country I remember having a favorite tree that I would sit under and that housed my swing in its branches.

    ReplyDelete