Friday, June 4, 2010

Butterfly

I was outside looking at the flower pots on my porch, and I spotted a butterfly. She was fluttering around between the wheelchair ramp and the house. I went down the ramp and tried to get closer. `She was a pretty orange and black pattern that I hadn’t seen before. She started flying away …”Oh, don’t go!” I said.

I watched her go... and come back! She settled down on the middle of the ramp and waved her wings up and down. It was so neat; I rolled closer and closer to get a good look.
She seemed to like that, and fluttered up to look me over. She flew around my head, under my arm, and circled my chair. She then started flying between the ramp and the house again, going from leaf to leaf on the weeds that were growing between the cracks on the ground. I think she may have been laying eggs. I thought to myself, “Darn, why don’t I have my camera? Oh, maybe I should go get it….”
I went in and got my camera hoping that she would stick around a little longer. When I came out she was waiting at the bottom of the ramp. I rolled down to where she was, but by the time I got there she was gone. I waited for a while hoping she would come back… but no, I guess she was camera shy.

I felt bad for a little bit, until I realized what a magical moment I’d had with one of earth’s littlest creatures. It was a thrill I can’t really describe.
It makes me smile thinking of it. It made my day.

Beth

PS I looked it up and I believe she was a Question Mark Butterfly. I really wish she would have let me take her picture!

1 comment:

  1. Neat encounter with a butterfly. I actually let one land on me yesterday! Thanks for your story.

    ReplyDelete