Monday, November 9, 2009

Plant Rescue!

“Well, I guess I am going to kill it,” my nurse Jojo said last week when she was here.

“Kill what?” I said.

“That spider plant that I don’t want anymore,” she said.

I love plants and I had a plant hanger that was empty. It would be a great place for a spider plant. “Aww, don’t kill it, I’ll take it,” I said.

She gave me a funny look. “Are you sure?”

“Yes!”

I found out about that look when she brought the plant in for me. It was huge. You know, a very large flowerpot crowded with pointed spider plant leaves all over the place. Baby spider plants hanging everywhere. It looked kind of sad – the leaves were all brown on the tips.

“OK,” I said, “put it in my craft room and when I get up in my wheelchair I will take a closer look, and see what I can do.” Jojo also brought me a pot of begonias that were still blooming on her outside porch. She knew I love begonias and keep the bulbs from year to year. She says they have lovely yellow flowers. I got up later and looked the plants over. The spider plant I was going to have to take apart and put in smaller pots. The begonia would need to have the bulbs dug up and replanted in a pot outside.

“I know what I am going to be doing tomorrow,” I thought to myself.

The next morning I was digging in the begonia pot getting out the bulbs while I was telling my morning nurse Daisy about how I received the plants. I really didn’t feel like ripping the poor spider plant apart right then, and I said that to her. “Beth,” she said, “if you don’t want it, can I have it?” I grinned. Another plant rescue!! I love it.

I gave the spider plant a makeover, taking my scissors and pruning all the dead stuff off. Then I trimmed the ends of the leaves and shaped them into new points. I took a bunch of spider plant babies for myself and planted them in a new pot and hung it on my plant hanger. Then I gave the big Momma spider plant to Daisy and watched her take it home, so happy.

One nurse found a home for her plant.

One nurse got a big beautiful plant.

I got a bunch of little spider plants to nurture and some begonia bulbs for next spring.

Everyone’s happy!

Beth

1 comment:

  1. Plants are the best healers and communicators. I think spider plants are abundant! Wonderful story of passing it on.

    ReplyDelete