Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Roasting a Turkey Breast

Today I roasted a turkey breast; it came out perfect! It had better have come out perfect, after all the time I spent with it. We were on a first name basis. It takes me more time than the average person to do many things but I seem to have the turkey cooking down pretty good.

You might think I was prepping for surgery when I start. I had my nurse get the turkey breast out of the fridge and put it on my counter, right before she left today at 1 PM. I got out my knives and sharpened them good. I doubled a garbage bag for the turkey wrapper and fat and skin I was going to toss. I am real careful of poultry and wear gloves working with it now. I have to stop and suction my trach a couple of times when I work, and it is so much easier to roll the gloves off, turn on my wheelchair, and go suction in the other room.

I got the roasting pan out and then I can go at it: wrapper off, fat and extra skin off, and into the garbage bag. Then I took my special rub and rub it all over under the skin. Man, did it smell good.

Oh, I forgot, I got out the book I was listening to on cd and put that in. It takes me longer to do things like cooking because I get short of breath and have to stop a lot. The book takes my mind off the waiting-to-recover time and fills up the boredom.

I got the bird in the oven around two. Found my basting bulb, oh darn, I forgot to get the nurse to put it together before she left..... well, maybe Paul can do it for me, I know he could hardly do it last time. Hey, I gave it a little try and it went together. Yea. I went to find Paul and waved it at him… he didn’t seem as thrilled as I was by my superhuman feat of strength! LOL

I have a timer I wear on the front of my shirt that I set to remember to baste the bird. I have to take it with me ‘cause I don't hear so well, and who knows what I will be doing next.

I helped Paul with some of his medical care for the next hour, and then was I tired. By then it was 4 o’clock and when I checked the temperature of the bird, it was perfectly done. I got it out of the oven and that was it for me. I was pooped. I got into bed and let Paul take over.

Paul took the turkey breast and the drippings and put it away in the fridge. I will make something with it tomorrow. The turkey breast came with gravy so that didn’t have to be made. We were having rigatoni and mixed vegetables, so that was set.

Later, at dinner time, I cut up the meat and Paul made the rest. It was a nice dinner and we have lots of turkey leftovers to make for many more dinners this week. And if we get sick of it we can freeze it.

It seems that all I did today was cook, but I feel a great satisfaction, especially when it turns out so good. I won't have to put a lot of time in for dinner for a while.

I like to cook, and I love to eat what I cook!

Beth

4 comments:

  1. So, what's the name of the turkey you're on a first-name basis with...Tommy?

    When Claire and I took that knife skills class in Boston, I told the teacher that my family thinks I'm a nut because I wear disposable gloves when I cook chicken. He stopped the entire class to tell them what I said, and to say that he always wears them with poultry. So, ha!

    I'm loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it took you an hour to do all that -- it would have probably taken me ten minutes. It's a good thing you have a stubborn streak, so you don't quit! Want some cranberry sauce? I made some from the cranberries Judith brought me from the cranberry harvest on Cape Cod. Thanks, Jude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul would like to note that he was taking a nice nap that was interrupted and had no idea what Beth was babbling about! 0-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul would also like to add that the turkey was fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete